Saturday, 24 October 2015

MORE Air Shows - Apologies

Well it's been a while but there has been a lot going on which has been time consuming, leading to much juggling and still not much time to do a great deal.

We have been trying to go to as many air shows as possible to see our wonderful Vulcan XH558 fly in her last season. You might not understand but real enthusiasts and members of the Vulcan To The Sky Club are very emotional when they see her fly and it is a real heartbreak to realise that she won't be flying after the end of this month due to various reasons, mainly the pulling out of technical support.

That said, we have been to Rhyl Airshow, where it was a wonderful day and even though I sprained my ankle rather badly early in the day just stood on a stone, we managed to enjoy it. We met a wonderful guy who had been in the crew of a Vulcan during her active service flying life and he was so very interesting.

There was a V Tour of the country paying tribute to where all the V bombers had been and still were in various forms. Our choice of venue was Barton Airport (or Manchester City Airport it is now known as). Vulcan performed a magnificent show for us all.

We then went to Southport Air Show where the planes excelled themselves but the two highlights of the show were the Red Arrows flying in formation with our lovely Vulcan along the coastline, so majestically many tears were shed and the atmosphere was so emotional. Then Vulcan peeled off and did her own display, which was by far the best one I have seen. The Reds flew off to Warton to refuel and then came back later to do their own magnificent display.

There was also Blackpool but I'm getting confused as to where we were when!

The airfield at Barton Airport, it is literally grass

I only took a couple here, as I just wanted to watch her fly

This was the lovely Karl, who told us all about his Vulcan exploits. This was taken at RHYL airshow

Another at Rhyl

You can see - this a tank, at Southport

This is a board which will be on display at the Red Arrows base, and the planes are made of the same metal as a real plane and there are rivets which are authentic rivets. We were given the opportunity to place a rivet in a hole. Mine of course was on the Vulcan but was just at the beginning of the wide bit. Really proud I managed a rivet gun and this will be on display.

These are The Blades, all ex Red Arrows pilots

This sight was unbelievable and so very emotional. Just look at that perfect formation.

And then !!!!

The end of a perfect day


Of course, there was the Northern Tour, for which we returned to Barton. Sadly, although Vulcan came directly over us at very high speed and right over our heads, to climb rapidly, before turning to fly along parallel to Manchester Ship Canal, then crossing over near Lymm, onwards to Woodford etc, she was so fast, that she had gone before we had had a really good look. It was incredible to see her so big right over our heads before climbing though. I so wanted her to do another circuit more slowly.

Well, you will be all Vulcanned out by now. I am sorry if I've bored you with all this and emotion too but maybe you find it a little interesting.

7 comments:

  1. Wasn't Southport just fabulous? A friend of mine was taking photos from the backseat of Red 10's jet while they did the flypast - you won't have spotted them as they were way back behind everyone, you may well have seen his amazing shots of the Vulcan & Reds over the sea though, just stunning! I too managed to pack in LOTS of Vulcan time this year, and was delighted that she made our local airfield - North Weald - one of her calling points on the Southern part of the farewell tour.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Robyn, how lovely to hear from you, I've not been following many blogs and lost track of yours. I can now find it again! I so envy your friend sitting in Red10! I do love the Red Arrows - it's unbelievable their skill. Love everything about planes. We'll hopefully be at RIAT next year - maybe you can get me an introduction??? I watched the Northern Farewell tour accompanied by tears - and even saw Barton where we were watching, although I was miffed a neighbour went over to Pestfurlong hill at the top of our estate and saw her flying over from the North, over Barton, turning towards them, and then turning again towards Lymm over the Manchester Ship Canal. Still you can't have everything.

      I was quite awestruck at Southport when the formation came into view and only just managed to get the shot above by the time I got myself together.

      Hoping to see the last flight if I'm at all able.

      Delete
  2. Not bored at all, in fact, I enjoyed your post no end. There are some amazing videos on YouTube – the sound as she flies overhead is pretty incredible.
    Your photos are really good, especially the one with the Red Arrows thanks so much for sharing them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Barbara, lovely to hear from you. I've been rather distracted over the last few weeks as my Mum hasn't been too well. I wanted to post the airshow pictures before I forgot about them. (as if) I'll catch up with you on your blog when I get a minute. I'm doing a bit of reading at the moment when I get a minute, the Len Deighton spy books. Very exciting.

      Delete
  3. We were very lucky to be out in the garden when she flew right over us - even someone with no knowledge such as myself can tell certain planes are approaching from the amazing sound. We do get two for the price of on here, we see plenty of Blackpool air show but get some good views from the beach when Southport is on too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You were lucky TdL to see Vulcan fly over your garden. She flew over our house in the 80s and that was when I first really got interested in her, then she was retired and then restored. I'm unsure if it is the same Vulcan who flew over then, but the RAF stopped flying them and then the Trust raised money to restore XH558. My cousin lives near you and they went down to the front to see the Red Arrows accompanying Vulcan from Southport.

      I have been reading your blog as I get email notifications but I'm sorry I'm sometimes rushing around to my Mum's and don't always have time to comment. Slapped hands! I will try to make a visit more regularly.

      Delete
  4. it is always interesting to read about something that is out of my normal range of interests and see lovely interesting photos. thank you

    ReplyDelete