Monday, 8 June 2015

A VISIT TO THE BOAT MUSEUM, ELLESMERE PORT

I did promise a post about this, so here it is.

Our car club had boycotted a car show because the organiser had told us we couldn't have any space in a previous show so it was decided to pay this visit.

Ellesmere Port Boat Museum has lots to see for many people and in the summer they organise events which involve children to make it more interesting for them.

You arrive to find plenty parking and there is an entrance hall where you can find all sorts of literature and books to buy in addition to a very reasonable cafe. Outside there are a couple of old working narrow boats which have traditional living cabins which are tiny because the majority of space was taken up by the cargo. I went down into one of the cabins and the stove was giving out a very welcoming warmth. The blankets on the bunk made me feel quite at home!

A bit further on is a room absolutely full of engines, taken from various boats of all sizes. I found that quite interesting as they were all polished up and the brass shone. On certain days the engines are actually working so you can see them moving. The temperature in that room was a very welcoming warmth and as it was a very cold and windy day, cosy.

We then went over a lock to look at some very old boats which were completely in ruins and hopefully one day they will be restored. There was a concrete boat tucked away somewhere, and apparently these were built during wartime (sorry I can't remember which war) when wood was scarce. They were very heavy boats but did actually float.

Another large building held a selection of hulls showing the different types of keel and there were also open air 'workshops' showing models of men doing certain jobs relating to the industry. There was a tiny narrow barge which had a cutter on the back and this went down canals cutting back growth that was encroaching into the water so the working boats didn't get snagged on the undergrowth. It also kept the canal clear and was not allowed to overgrow.

There was a marina for visiting boats which could dock overnight. On the other side was a modern hotel and new apartments had been built. Quite a nice outlook looking out on the boats.

My husband was very interested in an old ICI boat, a huge thing which used to take raw materials to the ICI works at Northwich. There was another large boat which had been floored in and the public are allowed to go down into it and look at various things of interest, like what cargoes were carried.

A row of cottages which ranged throughout the ages had been restored a short walk away and we went and had a look around them. It was very interesting but a bit frightening when you remember some of the stuff on display. Made me feel a bit old (well I am really) but it does make you realise how little you really NEED some of the things in a house that are deemed absolutely necessary today, like renewing kitchens and bathrooms because they are 'dated' and after moving into a house, everything has to be changed. When I was married we did change a lot but only because nothing had ever been done in a lifetime. Nowadays I still have my original kitchen and bathroom in our house which was built in the 80s as they still function and I've got other things to use my money for and I'd prefer the money to remain in the bank than waste it like that.

Anyway, that was a brief over-view of the museum and here are a few photos - again there are a lot! We went into the cafe afterwards for a coffee and I had a cheese and onion pasty!

I'm sorry but I'm not putting the photos in where the narrative describes them as there seem to be so many and I'm going to get myself into a mess if I try to. I want to keep this a complete post without splitting it up.







This was from the 50s

And this!







Add caption






See, it looks as if I've been crocheting madly for this shot!



8 comments:

  1. we stayed at the Holiday Inn opposite a couple of times [I had free vouchers to use up!] The HI provides good accommodation and great breakfast - and has its own swimming pool. The dining room looks across the canal to the Museum. We never visited- but I have always intended to go back and do the museum.
    I can also recommend Jabula, the fabulous south african restaurant round the corner, and nearby Port Sunlight for history/art fiends.
    Thanks for the museum review. Ellesmere Port deserves to get more tourists!! lots to see and do [and eat!]

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Angela, lovely to hear from you, I somehow lost the link to your blog so am pleased you've got in touch.

      We do want to see the submarine which was re-sited a few years ago.

      Delete
  2. What a fascinating post thanks for sharing it and all the photos. I bet the cheese and onion pasty and coffee was very welcome on such a cold day. My mum didn’t have any mod cons at all when I was growing up, but she managed perfectly well. I love going to museums because they are usually full of things I remember. If you ever get to Basingstoke (Hampshire) a visit to the Milestones museum of living history is always worthwhile.
    PS the fireplace in that 50s living room (the first picture) is exactly the same as the one I had in my bedroom when I was growing up. It was never lit and there was no other form of heating upstairs so it was always freezing! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Barbara, I'm catching up still on things and sorry I didn't reply before now. I love living history museums and had no idea this was at the boat museum. I have read your blog and your news in the last post and hope things go well for you. I've got some bits to put on here too - when I can find some time.

      Delete
  3. I agree with Angela about Jabula restaurant. We live outside Chester and often go to Jabula, usually for lunch rather than dinner. It's very, very good food!
    Don't bother visiting Ellesmere Port town itself, it's a shopping centre, but not much else.
    Port Sunlight however, is gorgeous, as is most of the Wirral. The Lady Lever art gallery is beautiful and has a huge collection of Pre-Raphaelite paintings, amongst other wonderful treasures. I definitely recommend a visit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wouldn't bother going to the shops either, Legaleagle - I can get that at home! I'd like to see Port Sunlight, as I live outside Warrington, there is what was Crosfields that made soap which was Unilever owned and I also used to visit the Gardens and Pavilion ruins at Rivington. Always interesting for me as a child and adult.

      Delete
  4. Hi Campfire,
    I hope are keeping well? Now knowing your love pedals, two wheels and 'double clanger', take a look at this YouTube video if you've got a few minutes.
    Camera on his handlebars - hurtling down a mountain pass - hairpin bends at speed.
    It's only just been posted up. Talk about 'white-knuckle' rides. I'd need my 'brown trousers' for this one.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4MnGMNWjXSQ
    Afdaling Passo dell'Umbrail vanaf Passo dello Stelvio - 13-07-2015
    Cheers Bernard

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Bernard, good to hear from you, I will look at it later - just took a glance but noticed it was 16 minutes, and have to get on this morning. Looks interesting!

      Delete