Wednesday, 19 March 2014

TIPTOE THROUGH THE ????????? WELL, DAFFODILS!

I managed to get out for another (little) ride the other day, thinking a little is better than none. I have to go through the Science Park which is about a mile away, to get into the countryside, North from our house. It is the quickest way, without having to cycle across town, even before you begin.

I noticed the daffodils planted around the park, which is the site of the old United Kingdom Atomic Energy Authority offices/works at Risley. Then as I got closer I noticed these.




I tried to get in front of them to take a picture of them coming towards me but they just kept turning away!.

Then, up the road, towards the Prison, turning off towards Croft. Cycling past Croft Church, you wouldn't believe you were so relatively close to the motorways of M6 and M62, with such wide views. Passing on the right, an estate of houses being built on Gosling Park, which are all luxury houses, probably twice as expensive as we could afford, on the site which used to be an American military base during WW2. My son took some pictures of the inside of the camp, sneaking in through the fence, and shot some poignant photos in B&W of the mess house, just left, with unwashed dishes, an old electric cooker etc, just - left. It was unoccupied for years, at least it is better than ruined buildings, although I hate to see all that former green belt land being built on, wasted.

The fields are full of almost grown Rape, which is really early this year. It provides a beautiful contrast to the green fields. You can see these fields from the M6 link road which runs within sight and hearing. 




I cycled up over the motorway bridge, to take me back to civilisation, or the former Warrington New Town, area called Locking Stumps, where I take pictures of this fascinating tree at various times of the year. What do you think of this? What does it remind you of?





i have shown two pictures, as I couldn't resist the last one - as I was going, I noticed the bird in the tree! It was quite a big bird too.

Now, through Locking Stumps and back to the Science Park. What was the main building now has a lake in front of it which is the home to beautiful ducks! I adore ducks and next time must take some bread with me, to get some better photos.






That building you can see was the main building for the UKAEA, now it is let out in suites, as are most of the other buildings. I once worked in what was known as Y block, on the team which was responsible for Hinckley Point B Power Station, recently de-commissioned! How time flies and things change. It is now Thompson House. I was fascinated when I first moved there from the previous offices at Radbroke Hall, Knutsford, to see the moving open lifts, which were called Paternosters. You used to just wait for a platform and jump on. Of course we were young enough to keep doing it until the novelty wore off.

I then went home, calling lastly at my friend's house, who was going in hospital for a replacement knee operation (which she has now had and I am visiting her tomorrow). Here's a picture of her lovely little dog, Ailsa.


Well, that was my day. See you next time!


9 comments:

  1. Hi Anne Marie, Don’t ask me why but the tree makes me think of a dinosaur, the one with little legs at the front. Is that what you see?
    The Rape is early, but then I suppose most things are this year. I love the pics of the ducks and the daffodils; it makes me think that spring is just around the corner. Also love the little dog. I hope your friend is on the mend now. Thanks for sharing your bike ride; I felt I was there with you! Have a lovely weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Barbara, Yes, I thought the same as you re the tree. I take a picture every year. A friend of mine (male) said that the three ducks looked like three blokes trying to get into a night club! I know there are two females and one male but you can see what he means. I love taking photos of ducks, they're so funny.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is exactly what the ducks look like, how funny! Glad we agree on the dinosaur.
    Thanks for coming to visit me earlier today. Our weather has been the same as yours - rain followed by sun followed by rain and so on. There was a terrific thunderstorm last night, I've never seen or heard anything like it before. It frightened the life out of me! Enjoy the rest of the weekend. x.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Godzilla needs a haircut! Wow pretty impressive.
    Loving the daffodils this year, I remember last year loads burnt out due to the dry spell so were not around for long .

    ReplyDelete
  5. And what a beautiful day .I love all the photos for me ducks are so funny. In Disneyland florida there are ducks waddling freely around the park .They keep me amused for hours .
    Enjoy the weekend hope you had a great easter

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, ducks are really comical, particularly at breeding season. I hope you are feeling a bit better now and that the new hooks are helping you. The friend I was telling you about has this week had to have 3 teeth removed to get at an abscess which had broken her cheek bone because of the blood problems. There is so much nastiness in the world for the nicest people.

      I bought a Furls coloured hook off a Facebook site, someone who had got two of the same size. I can't say if they are better, they seem to make tension slacker but lovely to look at! Even at the reduced price I paid still more than my usual hooks.

      Delete
  6. Hello Anne Marie, thanks for visiting my blog over the weekend. I will find that Patchwork Quilt land one of these days, and when I do you will be the first to know. Have a lovely week, Barbara.
    PS did you notice I borrowed your title – only in my case, I was tiptoeing through tulips not daffs

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ha! Do you know I hadn't noticed Barbara, I was too busy looking at the delightful illustrations promised by the very first picture. Well, I'm flattered! I am finding it hard to keep up with peoples blogs nowadays, I think I'm going to have to reduce my time on the computer and get to start 'that' ripple blanket!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I know just what you mean! Please don't worry about replying to this I just wanted to let you know I call in from time to time to see if there is anything new. Have a lovely weekend and good luck with the ripple blanket!

    ReplyDelete