Sunday, 12 May 2013

CYCLETTA, CHESHIRE

Well, I have had a good day today, I only decided to do this ride last Monday evening, which was literally the 11th hour to register. I actually forgot and had a go, then was pleased (!) that my application had been successful.

Cycletta is part of Breeze rides, and seems now to be run by Human League? It is to encourage women to get on bikes and join with others. Every rider is given a goody bag and afterwards has the opportunity to have a pampering session in a large tent.

This particular event starts at the beautiful location of Tatton Park, Knutsford. You have free entrance to the park for that day and can make use of facilities apart from going around the hall. The rides start with 10 riders at a time being let go, until all have gone. The riders can be anything from racing girls to people who have only had a bike for 4 weeks. There was an 8 year old girl riding. There were all shapes and sizes.

The route went from Tatton Park, round and about little lanes, almost to Wilmslow and Mobberley. There are some pretty thatched cottages and some black and white buildings that look really old. There is a lot of money in this area. At the same time as our three rides, there was a triathlon taking place so there were riders passing us, quite often hearing the whirr of their tyres far before them passing us. I did the ride on my own, I didn't know anyone and I wanted to use it as a fitness ride rather than a pleasant country one.

I've hardly done any cycling this year because of poor weather and other circumstances so entered into the shortest distance, rather do well at that than struggle at more. The last two miles are up hill, not steep but a long drag and usually the prevailing wind is in your face, which is worse than the hill. Today it was in our faces and the route was longer, taking you into the park about a mile further along, so even more hill. Fortunately, there was not long to go once we had cycled into the park.

I hope this doesn't sound too boastful but then next day they published the times for all the events and I was really thrilled to see I was placed 5th in my event. Not that it is a race but there were a lot of people using it to test themselves and their fitness, me included (once a racer, always a racer, in a MUCH modified state for me of course). The actual time was pretty rubbish but I am not as fit as I was last time.
This was a nice lady I was talking to whilst queueing to to meet Victoria. She was riding a very ladylike Dutch style bike which she had only bought a few weeks ago.

This is a much better photograph than last year. My hair could do with a trim but I didn't manage to get it done before. 

Add caption

I was trying to get a photo of her on her own and kept snapping.

Then I just asked her to stand for me.

My ride number, with autograph!

Victoria Pendleton was riding with the group I think but I didn't see her until afterwards. I went to ask her to sign my number and she said "oh, I have met you before, I think it was two years ago". I was flabbergasted as she must meet lots of people. Anyway, here are a few photos which I took, not many as I couldn't really take my camera with me as there was nowhere to put it and I didn't want to have it round my neck.

Victoria is such a lovely person, and so very modest too. She was there just with a lick of lipstick on, looking gorgeous. If any of you have seen photos of her recently she is doing modelling and very sophisticated she looks, quite a different look from the pretty girl she normally is.

2 comments:

  1. Sounds a fab day Anne Marie! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great that you got out on this. Let's hope we get some better weather.

    ReplyDelete