Wednesday, 21 November 2012

A BIT OF KNITTING AND HOOKING

I should really have incorporated some of the craft element in my blog name but just couldn't think of a good enough one. There hasn't been much about Beetles other than Bernard's comments and not a great deal about bikes as I've only done such very mundane cycling it wasn't worth mentioning, like going to the shopping centre - the long way around!

Anyway, it's the time I panic and start knitting or crocheting little things which some poor unfortunate may be the recipient!

I found a pack of mohair in the local Hospice shop, and it was only 50p for 5 balls. It's mostly kid mohair and Picaud too, with what would have been a very expensive price tag on, for when it was originally sold. I don't know how old it is but the label does say a few years.

Anyway, started crocheting a curly scarf, won't say who for just in case but I don't think the recipient will read my blog. It's quite hard to crochet with mohair as your hook keeps 'missing' the stitch because it's so light. I have to do it quite slowly, so even though it is quite bulky, you don't get the advantage of fast growth because of the care you have to take doing it.



A curly scarf. Looks like I might need to go into the next ball!



Look at the lovely way the ball of wool has been wound, you can see it better now I've used quite a bit. It's almost a mathematical shape.

Has anyone any idea why the type face changes after I have downloaded photos. I'm not at all au fait with blogging so don't know all the intricacies of how you set up the layout of the blog. Any advice is welcome, thank you. I have just gone back to it, highlighted it and changed the type face, so maybe that's what I should just do.

I have just got to tell you about my new purchase from Amazon. So very simple but a solution to my laundry drying problems. One of my friends told me I was always talking about drying laundry. She has only herself to wash for so it's not so difficult.

I put up a tension rod curtain pole, the sort you buy for nets, between two walls. This is on my galleried landing between the main stairway support wall and the bathroom wall. I then hang not too heavy stuff over it. I already had one, as I probably have written about before, but that wasn't enough, so ordered one from Amazon yesterday and hey ho, it arrived at 11am today. How wonderful is that? The one I bought doesn't have a large area to put on the wall, like my last one, but I'm pretty happy with it and I hope it works, as all the heat rises from my living room. I will try not to mention it again.

Well, that's it for today. I've some more craft stuff coming soon. I am knitting a cat, one that looks rather like a doorstop type of cat! I did think it was in one piece but realised it would be a spaghetti cat if it was but sadly I have to knit another side. It's in three strands of chunky so won't take too long.














7 comments:

  1. Glad you are keeping your hands busy. I don't go to charity shops too often but our d TV has just given up the ghost . It is only small and I don't know if a new On my way! Would be small enough. I think I'll try at a charity shop.
    Brenda in the Boro
    www.cyclinginthesixthdecade.Wordprezz. Com

    ReplyDelete
  2. There are very few charity shops sell electrical goods, although there is a British Heart Foundation shop at the other end of our town, in one of the shopping centres, that sells furniture and household electricals. They have to have the services of an electrician to be able to sell.

    I'm afraid I love a bargain but only buy good stuff or fabric, books etc. I am trying to restrict my visits as I'm trying to make some room.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Knitted cats? I haven't heard of those before. I have a blog pal (also from Bucks) who knits teddies.
    http://greatgrandmashotchpotch.blogspot.co.uk/2012/10/catching-up.html
    She sell them on a craft stall. I was in a shop in Thame last Tuesday and they had some knitted toys for £24.99.
    What a price! I know Sylvie doesn't sell hers for that.
    'Fraid I haven't been as far as Flookburgh. About 100 miles is my limit (200 round trip) in a day. Kidderminster is about the furthest I've been with the organ. This is why I am looking at 'campers & caras' so that I can have a long weekend.
    Bernard in Bucks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is a pattern I bought from a knitting blog. It had three 'sitting up' cats and they looked quite sweet. I will post a picture when I have finished it.

    You would love Flookburgh. It is a two day show and we usually stay 2 nights in the area. It's become our 'holiday' as TH doesn't have holidays as he's too busy building engines and fettling bodywork. If you got some sort of camper or van, you would have a whale of a time going around places.

    I must admit I'd rather have the two nights away going around the lakes but he enjoys it so much - I just bob off somewhere myself if I have the opportunity.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi B-in-the-B, just posting the link here. There are other blogs/relating but see if you like this one or let me know if you want any more. PS: if you are in touch with them, J & N know me by my weekday name, as do most cyclists, other than my full name!

    http://www.bicycletouringeurope.eu/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear ? (weekday name). Thanks for that link.....but I haven't cocked my leg over a saddle in years now. I did as a lad, and did many,many miles.
    I don't, like you, usually advertise my blogging but as you enquired - http://monkey-organ.blogspot.co.uk/2010/05/bicycles-tricycles-and-tandems.html
    ....this is a bit about my past.
    Take care on the roads...Bernard

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh! Dear. That isn't meant to read "I don't like you".
      It's - "I don't usually (like you) advertise my blogging"!
      I hope you understand? Ha,ha.

      Delete