Thursday, 6 September 2012

A TRIP THROUGH LAST OF THE SUMMER WINE TERRITORY

We had an unexpected day out today. TH rang me yesterday from work saying he was going over to Huddersfield way to collect some parts bought on Ebay and did I want to go with him. Normally I wouldn't bother but love going to Holmfirth, particularly over the Saddleworth moors.

Straight along the Mancunian Way in Manchester and realising how interesting the buildings are in the city as we drove along. I've taken a few pictures but unfortunately at 50mph you don't get very good ones.

When we arrived at our destination, there was a beautiful spaniel, which had the look of utter bliss when it got stroked and petted. Then I heard a cat! Looked around and it was the most beautiful Bengal cat which came up to me and allowed me to pick it up. What a beauty he was, called Benjamin. He was a good sized cat but I was amazed at the weight when I picked him up, as there was not an ounce of fat on him. The fur felt like velvet, not like cat hair. He would have made mincemeat of our Siamese, Merlin.

On the way back I tried to take a photo of the cafe featured in the Last of the Summer Wine. I just caught it but it's not so clear as it's tucked away in a corner of a courtyard and the traffic was moving, albeit slowly. It's impossible to park in the street and as we were just on the way home, it wasn't worth parking.

View along Mancunian Way.

I think that is Manchester Metropolitan University, never seen it before.

One of the newer houses built along the main road, at Beswick.

Benjamin, isn't he beautiful?

The cafe is on the right where the tables and chairs are set out. I have a closer picture, when I was there years ago, with me posing with one of the Wellies, which sit outside.

View over reservoir it was a bit hazy

A windmill, which our friend built in the garden as a garden shed.
Back out of Holmfirth, we stopped on the top of the moors over looking a reservoir and Black Hill and Featherbed Moss, part of the Pennine Way. Called at a friends house where we were treated to tea and biscuits.

Yes, a very nice day indeed.


1 comment:

  1. Lovely day out! And, what a beautiful cat, indeed!!

    ReplyDelete