Sunday, 24 June 2012

A TRIP ALONG THE SOLAR SYSTEM AND ALMOST BLOWN AWAY

Well it was worse than expected. I arrived at York after a terribly wet, spray ridden journey, parked the car on the road approaching the racecourse and had a little trip into the city on the bus. That would be the only opportunity to do so this weekend. Had a nice sandwich at a very reasonable cafe and got the next bus back.

The entrance to the site was chaotic. Part of the racecourse was under water and so all vehicular traffic was going through one entrance, and oh boy was it muddy. There was a Manitou tractor pulling people out of places they had got stuck in.What had made it worse was the heavy plant delivering the large marquees and equipment used on the show had churned the ground up before everyone else wanted to go in. I believe the Rally was almost cancelled but it was really too late, people were on their way and so it went on.

I eventually found my plot, not bad and not really wet. My tent played a merry game with me when I tried to work out which way round I should pitch it. Then I moved the car umpteen times to place it in front of the tent to keep some of the wind off.

The whole night the wind howled around my little tent. I knew it wouldn't blow away with me in it! I would have been like the Wicked Witch of the East or West if it had. Halfway through the night I had to put my lovely merino blanket inside my lightweight sleeping bag as it wasn't quite warm enough because of the cold wind chill. After that I was cosy but stiff. My new from ASDA camping stove spluttered a lot despite being surrounded by things to protect it from the wind. I will not use a stove anywhere near a tent.

The next day we went for a pleasant if windy ride to Riccal passing along the way the planets! See my photos. The ladies of the Church in Riccal make a special effort for the cyclists and bake yummy cakes and scones and sandwiches for us. We always do them proud and we would have braved a thunderstorm to support those lovely ladies and the odd couple of gents.

The show was less well patronised than usual owing to the weather and there were fewer exhibitors in the marquees. We sat in my friend's camper van that night after going out for an Indian meal. It rained all night.

We woke up to rain, then suddenly it disappeared, and the sun shone, still windy though. I was going to stay another night but was quite a way from my friends so decided to call it a day and go home. I bought some useful items from the saddlebag sale, a very good quality cycle rack pack, a pair of climbing trousers and a cycle jersey, very unusual design, oh a pair of cycle mitts, half price.

Do you like my crochet saddle and tube covers? I made them for a bit of a joke really, TH thinks they are a bit twee.

I hope you enjoy the photos. If you want to know any more about them let me know.













This is the York/Selby Cycle Way which is a lovely route through meadows with a couple of cafes and a garden centre on the way. It is quite an undemanding route and very suitable for families as well as more aspiring athletes.

On the way we passed a bridge with sculpture above, near the Marina at Naburn, just before the old railway station building, now a cafe and B & B.




The next photo is I believe a coal cutter.

Just look at the spread the ladies of the church in Riccall put on for us. I think the tea was 60p and the cakes were £1. You have just got to eat at least two, or even take some back for later.




Do you like my crochet saddle cover and tube protector, which I made for a bit of a joke, for my Brompton. I don't have room in my boot to take my normal bike so the Brompton comes in handy. Not so good for cycling over the campsite though with the muddy grass and small wheels. Still quite a fast run out on it on the cycle track.


I just thought I'd grab a picture of my tent before attempting to fold it up. My poor old 21 year old car looks very scruffy, covered in mud, I'm glad I didn't bother cleaning it before going. It will need a good hose down. I did fold the tent but not so tidily as I did the first time. I somehow thought that after folding it, both outside edges should have been the same colour. It came together though, and I can have a look at the You Tube video and have another go. Just look at the mud tracks behind. Don't be deceived, large vans needed to be towed by a tractor to get from the show ground to the entrance.


Right, see you next time then.

It would be really nice if you commented, even just to say hi, otherwise I'm not sure if I'm writing a load of rubbish!

2 comments:

  1. Ihi Anne Marie
    I've had time to read right through your blog and there is so much that is familiar. We really could be sister!!
    I have a pretex cover on my Koga Mixte frame. It keeps the pain for getting scrtached when I get my leg over. So your crochet cover doesn't seem strange to me. I live how you've matched them to the colour of your Brommie.
    Brenda in the Boro

    ReplyDelete
  2. You'd be the better looking sister though, I was reading a couple of your blogs and looking at the pictures. How lovely they are.

    The crochet cover was a bit of a joke really. I found a knitting magazine with a saddle cover so I thought I'd crochet one and adapt the pattern. I just happened to have that wool which is Acrylic and wouldn't get damaged with the rain/mud etc.

    ReplyDelete