Monday, 11 June 2012

ESCAPE TO THE COUNTRY - BY BIKE!

Well, I wish it was really escape but have to make the most of a fine day and have got out of going to a car show with TH at Garstang. I do get a bit bored 'sitting in a field' as I call it and like to be off and away not static.

I was going to just collect some eggs and come back as I've not done much cycling recently because of the weather. However, when I got past one point it didn't seem worth turning round so I kept going, to a little circuit I do when I want a 'ride' locally.

Birchwood Business Park has been made very attractive over the last few years and the buildings which used to be The Atomic Energy Authority and its canteen have been re-faced, and a lovely pond and grass area constructed in front. The main building is now let out to all different businesses. I used to work in one of the buildings, called Y block when we were dealing with the building of Hinckley Point Power Station, which has now been dismantled and de-commissioned. That is also let out to various businesses.






The building next to the lake is the Restaurant. Members of the public can go there and eat and I keep forgetting to meet up with friends there. At the rear is a new gym. This is about a mile from where I live, across the park.

Next, over to Croft and the church, and I called in the graveyard to take a look at the grave of a friend who sadly lost her life walking in Scotland when she slipped on the ice on a ridge and fell to her death. I haven't been for a while but was thinking she and my Dad got on very well, so just went to look. Her grave looked very sad and neglected and so I think I will go in the car soon with some soil and some nice plants that will last a few months. I think the relatives who lived close by have moved as the soil in the containers is so full of grass roots, it needs to be replaced. I put primula on for a while which lasted but there is no sign of them now. It is in a lovely country churchyard, with wide open spaces, but very flat countryside.



The lovely orange flowers were along the side of the main road, when I reached it, I would love a cutting as I am not sure what the flowers are. I went to look next at the garden centre but couldn't see any like it.

At the garden centre were some point of lay hens for sale and hen houses, with a run and a house for them to sleep in. I am not sure how free the birds would be but the hut was around 6' wide by 10' long and taller than me. They were selling them for over £400 pounds although I think a joiner/carpenter would be able to put one together for half that price. There were some little birds in a smaller run and maybe someone could tell me what they are. I think they might be Quail.



I often have a pot of tea and a biscuit (only an inexpensive one) but today I hadn't intended calling in so didn't have much money and I also wanted to buy some eggs from the farm, so just drank my water and bought a chocolate covered Kendal Mint Cake for 65P. I was amazed that the cakes were 2.50 at least which I think is extortionate.

On the way back I called at St Oswalds Church, Winwick, which is a grade 1 listed building, currently having lots of work done to it. It is a very ancient church and nearby, there is a St Oswald well, which I have yet to see. There is a bit on the internet about the church, which I will not go into here, as it would take all night.



On the way back I will call at the farm/smallholding where I buy my eggs and potatoes from. Today they only had eggs, all the potatoes had gone, fortunate I didn't need any. Look at all the old ads on the walls. There is an honesty box in the building and if you don't have any money you can pay it next time, leave a note in the book. There is a nice little dog which makes a fuss of you when you go. I often take it a tin of sardines. It is actually a pedigree but I can't remember what breed it is.



She wouldn't sit still for me when I pointed the camera, she just wanted to come up to me for petting.

Home is about 3 or 4 miles away, I don't have a bike computer. So I hope you enjoyed my little ride with me. It is in total around 16 miles but I really wouldn't want to go around in the car to check it, seems a bit pointless.

Next time I will probably show you some pictures of some decorated bikes taken at York Cycle Rally a few years ago. They are so pretty. I shall be going there in a couple of weeks time camping on the racecourse, we shall be doing some minimal cycling, getting together with some friends. I'll post some pics of it if there is anything of interest.

Till next time.

4 comments:

  1. Nice little outing. The roadside flowers are called Calendula. If you like them, you can get seeds in the garden centre for next year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Sarina, I will look out for them. I will look them up and ask for some. I'm also going to go in my car, and get a few plants that were reduced to £1.00. I try to combine car journeys so I'm not always running back and forth.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The flowers are English marigold, also called Calendula - grow from seed really easily but not from cuttings.

    I really like your blog :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Compostwoman. I have been looking for the seeds but not found them yet. Thank you for your kind remarks too, it is really appreciated as I'm a newbie blogger. I'm keeping content just things I am doing and trying to keep it simple. I do read the main frugal blogs and Shirley Goode's blog plus countless others of interest and instruction, like crochet & knitting.

    I think it was you commenting about a private blog. Well let me know when it goes public and I'll join if I may.

    ReplyDelete