Sunday, 13 May 2012

THE BLACK SHEEP, THEN RISLEY MOSS

Today was the first outdoor classic car show at Cholmondesley Castle, not far from Whitchurch but I didn't want to go. Tall husband (TH) said he would like me to go but I really wanted to have a day to myself and have a little bike ride.

The intention was to go to Widnes on the train, then do a trail audit on the Transpennine Train, from Widnes, go back up to Pickerings Pasture and then cycle down to Warrington and home. However, the very strong winds made me think the Mersey was not the best place for today. I will do that another day and show you some pictures of the River Mersey and the interesting parts of the trail.

Before going out I made a very quick chicken casserole for TH, not for me as I'm veggie, and put in my tiny slow cooker, which lives in the conservatory. He would be able to eat that when he came back from his car show, hungry as usual. I had some chicken pieces, mushrooms, onions, a couple of tomatoes, and some soup mix. I would have a baked potato with cheese and salad.

I bought some wool from The Black Sheep Wool barn the other day but I'd got the wrong colour and went over there on the bike to see if they could change it but they didn't have the colour I wanted. Home again, a cuppa and back out on the bike again for a little cycle around Risley Moss Nature Reserve. It is a ten minute walk, or 5 minute cycle ride to get there, we are very lucky.

The wind was very strong and I was glad I'd not gone so far, probably about 8 miles in total. The sun was very strong and it was warm despite the wind.









Very few people were visiting Risley Moss but I think there was a football match on. I hope you like the few photos I took.

Risley Moss is a SSSI and in the neighbourhood used to be the Royal Ordnance Factory, Risley. Where I live used to be on that site and there are many remains of the factory, like railway lines, bunkers, look out posts etc. The picture above shows what I think is a reconstructed carriage for shells, which used to run from the filling sheds to the lorries to be transported either by road or rail. There was a railway halt specifically for that site. If you look it up on the internet, it is a fascinating account of wartime activity in the area and was chosen because of its location, ie, in a dip which made it ideal for preventing enemy bombers from seeing it. My dad said you could not see it from the air, he was a navigator in Lancaster bombers.

I'd love it if you posted a few words, just come in and say hi.

No comments:

Post a Comment