Thursday, 3 May 2012

AROUND TOWN

Yesterday I went into Manchester to my German class at the university. The classes used to be run by the Goethe Institute and then when they closed the Manchester Office the University took them over. Our class is a very lively one, covering current affairs, books and other things, so totally stress free after the examination class I was in previously. We had a great discussion and talked about a short story we read about a man who discovered a mistake had been made in his bank account and decided on the spur of the moment to go in and close his account. He then had to run away, take a plane somewhere far away etc. The end was inconclusive but we all gave our ideas about what might happen next. We then went on to discussing our favourite places and those we might treat as our roots and we listened to a song by Marlene Dietrich called "Ich hab' noch einen Koffer in Berlin" or loosely, "I still have a suitcase in Berlin". Now I am not, nor ever have been, a clubby person but on listening to her singing that, you could almost feel the atmosphere of the nightclub, smell the smoke, and see Marlene Dietrich's silky, long dress. I've never heard that one before.

Our class is on the top floor of the Samuel Alexander building, a rather beautiful building with this impressive hall.

I had two appointments in town today and as the sun was shining, although very windy, decided to cycle the 5 or 6 miles, rather than having to find somewhere to park.

Our local town used to be in Lancashire and since the 70s (I think), is now in Cheshire. I still feel a pull to Lancashire after all these years. There is an attractive Town Hall next to the park, with beautiful golden gates.

The town is the site of the bombings over 20 years ago where two young boys were killed, many injured and one young woman who was in town that day, Mother's Day all those years ago, had with her a 6 week old baby and a toddler. She lost her leg in one of the two explosions. Following the injury, cancer recurred and she later, sadly died. I felt so upset about her, as the attention was all about the two boys who were killed and people seemed to forget her. Bronwen Vickers wrote a book about it. I should thank my lucky stars that day to having the need to visit the loo, and turning right at the end of the street rather than turning left, as I was just out of range of the bomb by the time it went off.

There was an earlier attempt to blow up some gas tanks at the gas works but the bombers were apprehended on a routine vehicle check up, lucky for the people who lived in that area and for a good way around.

We used to have a thriving fish market and general market, under cover. The fish market canopy still remains and a square with shops has built around it. The old pub, The Barley Mow is still in the corner, with the entry that you used to go down to reach the general market, a typical crowded market with tatty wooden stalls, a lovely, busy, friendly place, far better than the one we have now which is half empty.

I had my hair cut in the market at a cost of £6.00 and at that price I can afford to give her a tip.

In our local charity shop I found a cushion cover ideal for my friend, who has a Scotty doc cut out from another cushion, which I will applique on for her. I hope the machine will manage it otherwise it will have to be hand stitched in either a V stitch or blanket stitch so it doesn't fray. Maybe my Mother has her pinking shears still and I can borrow them.

Tonight I had a lovely telephone call from my Aunt who had received a pair of wrist warmers which I knitted for her and posted. She was having pains in the base of her thumb and said they are lovely and so warm. I found some nice Sublime organic merino wool and it only took one ball to knit them. It was reduced at The Black Sheep Wool barn, which is close to us and is one of the best internet wool sites you can find. They are having a sale from either tomorrow or Saturday but unfortunately it is only in the warehouse, not on the internet.

I go to a knitting group there every fortnight and there's a lot of nattering and a fair amount of knitting but it is best not to take anything too complicated, as mistakes tend to be made. Last Christmas I made quite a few little presents for friends and relatives, like neck warmers, wrist warmers, a crochet coat hanger from a pattern on a blog and a shoulder bag and wrist warmers for my future daughter in law to go with her present. I might put some pictures on when I get around to a craft post.

Thank you so very much for your comments on my new blog. Thank you Sue for commenting, it is very much appreciated. I am an amateur compared to you out there but as I like chatting and like taking photos, maybe I will enjoy doing it.

Here are a few photos of our town. I don't know if you can click on them to enlarge, I can't but you might. I don't know how I would set that up.

I can't seem to put any text in after the photos so will have to finish up here. That's all for today folks, thanks for reading. I can't manage a daily blog as it would be just too boring for you but next time I might take you around Risley Moss a site of SSSI, a nature reserve, just five minutes walk from where I live.

Night night.

The Town Hall through the Golden Gates





The Town Hall
This used to be the entrance to the old market, the Barley Mow pub  is on the right. 
The 'New' town centre. Years ago there was a beautiful roundabout with  flowers , that was when traffic went through the town centre. It seems as if the heart has been removed from the town, all the shops having been transferred to the new Golden Square shopping arcade.

The Barley Mow, near the site of the old Fish Market.












1 comment:

  1. What stopped you from running a blog before? You`re doing great! This was very nice to follow and read. The photos of your town are fabulous. Don`t stop here. Keep going. That was lovely!

    ReplyDelete