Monday, 30 April 2012

Hi anyone who chooses to read this blog. I have taken ages to get around to doing it, because I really hadn't a clue what to call it, and decided on three of the things I like doing. I also like knitting and crochet and painting but I couldn't think of a suitable title which involved all of them. I must admit to being a bit confused about it all, so please excuse if I've left anything out.

I am a retired, slightly eccentric person who cycles and anything unusual. I am a volunteer ranger for Sustrans, the charity which covers many paths in the UK forming a network, which involves looking after an area of the Transpennine Trail vaguely between Widnes and Heatley Lymm. Recently, I've not done much for various reasons, one of which was a trapped nerve/sciatica which made me quite grumpy and whilst it didn't affect the cycling, it did affect most other things I did, making everything take longer than usual.

I've also not a great deal to write about. I don't do anything exciting, am not a brilliant cook and don't have any more moneysaving ideas than most, other than to shop in charity shops and Aldi/Lidl when I'm near one of them. I love reading other peoples' blogs, particularly the frugal ones and the knitting and crochet ones are regular reads. I would love to do such beautiful work like Lucy from Attic24 and Little Tin Bird but have a go anyway and made quite a few Christmas presents last year.

The recent bad weather seems to have curtailed my cycling activities although I did cycle to the town on Friday as I had an appointment and it's easier to cycle in than going by car. Also cheaper, even I did get the train back. My railcard enabled me to get 1/3 off the fare though. I've recently discovered by buying a three year senior railcard, I save £19. I cycled to the shopping centre today and had to take a couple of puffs of the inhaler, as the asthma has kicked in suddenly, in a minor sort of way.

Last year I participated in the women's cycling event Cycletta, with Victoria Pendleton cycling with us. Hopefully I will enter it this year so had better get my bike legs out, they've been lazy over the last few months. It is around 25 miles based from Tatton Park. I really enjoyed it and it was great to see so many women out challenging themselves, some of whom were really raw beginners and were complete stars to complete it.

My poor Beetle hasn't been out for a couple of weeks. It is blown around with the wind. I've been using the bike when dry. I've found in the loft a pair of lederhosen and a Bavarian woolen cape with hood, which I used to make my long-suffering son wear when he was a very small child. Poor him. I am going to place them on the back window of the Beetle. Although I've had this for almost three years, the poor thing hasn't had a name. I don't like referring to cars as 'he' or 'she' or 'name', even though they might have one. It seems vaguely pretentious somehow. However, I'd like it to have a name, but I'd still refer to it as "the Beetle". I'm thinking of Brünhild, out of the tale of Das Nibelungenlied.

Have been reading Anita Brookner's "A Private View" about a bachelor, newly retired, who lives a very standard life in London in a mansion flat, planning to travel with a friend on retirement. Sadly his friend dies and his life is momentarily changed with the advent of a young woman taking up residence in the building. There is a lot of description in this rather typical Anita Brookner book, some of it you tend to skip over.

I'm going to try to download some photos, which were scanned from prints, for Shirley Goode, from The Goode Life, whose blog I read. They are of The Golden Ball, at Snatchem's End, showing how the pub is cut off with the tide coming in up the river. Press Gangs used to come up the river and snatch men drinking in the pub, to take them for their ships. The quality is not very good, as the photos are from the late 90s.




I hope you like them Shirley.

Do, please excuse my inexperience at this blogging. I will have another go at a later date, when I've got something to write about, not just blathering like I've done above.




6 comments:

  1. Hey, don`t put yourself down. This wasn`t such bad blathering after all! The more you pracise this blogging the more you`ll get used to it and learn to post things. The beginning is always a bit disappointing for the author. Speaking from experience her, haha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh heck! My first comment. Thank you very much for reading and commenting Sarina. I found your blog, lost it and then read it again the other day.

      Delete
  2. Hiya, I am a Shirley follower too (also Attic 24, Little Tin Bird etc even tho I knit not crochet) keep up the good work, I have not been brave enough to try and work out this blogging stuff, but if my mobility does not improve in the months to come I might have a go at wittering about my new life in the middle of the country, having recently moved from the south-west.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alison, I decided to start this, in a rush, without thinking it through. The URL (is that the website address?) is not the same as my blog, as I wasn't sure what to do, but there it is. I just played it and then found the background. I'd love a picture at the top but will change it later on.

      Oh do try it, I've done it and I have a lot to say but not of much use to anyone, like I won't be giving out lots of recipes, nor giving advice as there are better bloggers than me doing that already.

      I might be putting some photos on, that are my favourites, or some when I go out on Ranger patrols.

      I haven't put a link onto Google though as I don't want lots of people finding me! I would personally love to hear your 'witterings' about your new life. Thank you for commenting.

      Delete
  3. Hi Campfire, how lovely to find you here in the wonderful world of Blogging after reading so many of your comments on my Blog.

    Blather away, it's fascinating.

    Sue xx
    Our New Life in the Country

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Sue for your nice comments. x

    ReplyDelete